Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Mom’s Been Wigg’n Out

Phew. I found my checkbook. It’s been gone for 5 days. I just went to the bank today to find out what I needed to do about it being lost. When I left the bank and put #2 Son in his car seat… I found my checkbook. Back to the bank to let them know it was found. Big CHEERS.

So, why am I telling you about this? Besides getting it out of my system? Because I have the kind of checks that have a carbon underneath it. By default that is what I get from my Bank. Like most people, I put my account number in the memo field when I pay my bills. If I had lost my checkbook or had it gotten stolen, then whoever found it would know all my account numbers and account names. Power, cable, visa, mortgage and so on. Scary huh? I was really wigg’n out when I thought it was lost. I will no longer allow the carbon copy to have the account number information on it. Luckily I only have a couple of checks left in this book and the next one will DEFINITELY not have the account information on the carbons.

I also can’t believe I’m the only person who did NOT think of this when I got the default checks. For the rest of you out there that have carbons… be aware of what just happened to me. I’ll be putting a piece of something under the memo field when I write checks in the future. Phew… definitely feeling better already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why I use online banking - so I don't have to write checks for stuff like that!

But yeah, PHEW! I have had my purse stolen and lost my checkbook and credit/debit cards, so I know the feeling of panic.

- Songstress7
News from the Great Beyond

Jody said...

Very suprised you don't pay online. But so glad you found it!

Harvey said...

Ok, I can understand being upset about the Visa account number, but... the cable?

Honestly, I'm not sure how that one can be used against you.