Thursday, August 11, 2005

It Runs in the Family

My sister, Tink, is taking care of her grandchild, Zozo. And here is a sample of what kind of conversations you find in her household:

Do not ever, ever, ever watch the History Channel with a 6-year old unless you are prepared for the ultimate question...

Just this week I was putting ZoZo to bed and thought I would turn the TV to Radio Disney. (btw Radio Disney makes MTV look tame). Listening to a bunch of kids give the news cast at 9 p.m., was not very conducive to sleep in my humble opinion. Therefore I turned the television to the History Channel. There being a method behind my madness, I assumed that if you listened to Bach while the child was still invitro it will produce a musical genius, then surely falling asleep to the sounds of the History Channel would make for a historical genius. But I discovered that God has a twisted sense of humor and has provided one 6-year the ability to differentiate between right and wrong.

That night the HC had a show about the Holy Grail. 6-year olds are naturally inquisitive and the first ultimate question: "What is a grail?" Easy enough hon... a grail is a cup. "Why is it called Holy?" Because it is believed to have belonged to Christ, i.e. Jesus. "Who is Jesus?" Don't be silly, you know who Jesus is. A chuckle behind a hand.... "Jesus is the son of God." That's right. "Who was Jesus' mother?" The Virgin Mary. "So when did God and the Virgin Mary get married?" Well they didn't get married. "They didn't get married. Whoa, that's just wrong." ZoZo, shut up and go to sleep.

I guess I will be out looking for a priest to answer this question. And good luck to him. But then again it must run in the family. I was the one to ask the priest where the people in the land of Nod came from.... You may want to reread Genesis.

Tink

And what worries me, is I know this runs in our family. I can't imagine what my sons are going to ask me. Are all children this way?

8 comments:

pam said...

I'm constantly amazed at what comes out of the grandkids' mouths! LOL!!

Peter said...

I doubt I would've survived having kids in the house without the three most important words in the Dad Vocabulary...Ask your Mom. I'm surprised that Linda Lou didn't murder me in my sleep.

Harvey said...

"They didn't get married. Whoa, that's just wrong."

LOL! :-D

Sally said...

If I ever have another child, it will be the thought of how kids interpret religion that will get me through labor :-)

Jennifer said...

ROTFLMAO!

I certainly hope all children aren't this way, I don't know what I would say!

Bou said...

The answer to your question... I think so. Inquisitive children ask odd questions. They are relentless. And draining! Just wait. ;-) Blog fodder!

procheinamy.blog-city.com said...

Karnival of Kidz, Hosted Here and Now!

Does the face match the post?Runs in the Family at One Happy Dog Speaks. When All Else Fails at ArmyWifeToddlerMomCrazy Nate Day at Camp HappyBad Fun I Always Knew I Was Royalty at Practical Penumbra Those Good Old Days at The Common Room

Pam said...

The Bible can really mess ya up, man! :-P