Friday, January 06, 2006

Munch Munch, Crunch Crunch

Soon my house will be empty of food. Really. My children have become tape worms. They eat and eat and eat. I would like to know where it goes. Here was yesterday's menu:

Breakfast to Lunch:
Tater: 1 bowl oatmeal, 2 bananas, fish pretzels, regular pretzels
Tot: 2 bowls oatmeal, 2 bananas, fish pretzels, regular pretzels

Lunch to Dinner:
Tater: 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (full size), 1 banana, 2 choc chip cookies, regular pretzels
Tot: 1 mini bagel with cream cheese, 1 peanut butter and jelly sandwich (full size), 1 banana, 1 candy cane, 1 choc chip cookie, regular pretzels

Dinner till bedtime:

Tater: 3 helpings of chicken/rice (mainly just chicken), 1 black eyed pea, pears, 2 1/2 bowls oatmeal, regular pretzels, crackers with peanut butter
Tot: 2 helpings of chicken/rice (eating all of it), 1 black eyed pea, manderin oranges, 2 bowls oatmeal, regular pretzels

Tater is not even 3 1/2 years old... Tot just turned 2 in October. Exactly how much will my kids be eating when they are 10 or 11? Will I be able to stock enough food for them? Should I be scared or not?

17 comments:

Richmond said...

I remember my girls going through major consumption spurts like that when they were that age. Tater and Tot must be doing some serious growing this week!

Just in case though, you may want to consider building a much larger pantry or moving next door to Costco....

Contagion said...

Take a second job, you're going to need it. Those boys are just warming up.

Oddybobo said...

My kids 2 1/2 and literally eats more than the hubby and me combined. I have no idea how he does it! But what you described above sounds like my house on a daily basis. I fear him when he gets older. We are so going to have to start raising our own food, the cost alone is going to kill us!

Marie said...

Holy moly!!! Do you do any gardening??

Jennifer said...

I know I'm scared. My kids eat that much too. Then they go on weeks with practically nothing.

Marie said...

ps -- we go through a LOT of bananas here too. A LOT. They never get a chance to get ripe enough so that I can bake with them!

Bou said...

This reminds me of the Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. And on Saturday he ate, 1 pickle, 1 cupcake, 1 ice cream cone, 1 apple, 1 peach, 1 cookie... Do you have that book?! It's awesome!

Chris said...

Holy smokes! I remember when my girls were 2,4, & 6, I could feed them at McDonalds with a 20 piece and large fry and I got to eat the leftovers.

VW Bug said...

Bou: You gave me a copy of the Very Hungry Catepillar for Tater. I had to buy a new one by the time Tot came around. They love it.

Chris: Thanks for stopping by... and they sound like they didn't eat alot. Did they ever?

Marie: Bananas can ripen? I never see them ripen after having kids.

Jennifer: They slow down, but not by much. That's what really scares me.

Contagion: Yaa... a second job at a grocery store!

OddyBobo: Maybe we could barter? I'll grow stuff you can't and vice versa?

Richmond: That doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. This year we are joining costco. Haven't done it before because they didn't carry the diapers I prefer nor foods for the kids. Now that they eat regular foods and LOTS of it... time to join.

caltechgirl said...

Heh. Sounds like a growth spurt!

it begins....

GUYK said...

they probably have a lot of energy and need a lot of grub to keep goin

marybeth said...

This is just a warm-up. I had a friend who would leave non-perishable groceries in the trunk of her car when her sons were teenagers. She said it was the only way to make sure there would be something left for breakfast the next day.

Jacqui said...

Just wait until they're teenagers! You might as well just buy the grocery store. *grin*

Toluca Nole said...

Be scared, especially if they become athletes. I don't even know what my caloric intake was in high school.

Sticks said...

"One blackeyed pea"! The requisite you must eat this. Love it.

Want to know where it goes? I'll tell you. 2 miles around the living room at toddler speed consumes 2000 calories, keeping Mom hopping and keeping up consumes at least 3000 calories. Aggravating your brother for an hour equals at least 500 calories per "Mom!" produced. The list goes on and on.

armywifetoddlermom said...

what I wouldn't give to be able to eat that, and have the metabolism to stave off the "damage"...

michele said...

Yeay! I have finally set you up so that I can read you on my PDA everyday! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

BTW, my son is the same way!