Thursday, October 14, 2004

Delay Tactics

#1 Son has learned delay tactics. Amazing in my eyes that a 2 year old can figure all that out in his developing brain. What is this delay tactic? It’s saying to Dad he has to go ‘P’ at night when he is in bed. Or to Mom when she is trying to get him down for his nap during the day. But it works. Why? We are trying to potty train him. Hence, if he says he has to go, off to the bathroom one of us will take him. So far, he has actually gone when he says he needs to go.

Now getting him off the toilet is a whole different story. He does not want to get down once he is through. And sometimes he actually does go again. But it seems to be hit or miss on whether he really needs to go a second time or not. Delay tactics again. Though it is getting to be the general consensus that once is enough and off the toilet.

I’m up for any hints on how to work this issue. For now, we’ll just continue as is until the next surprise comes our way. Kids learn early how to get what they want… But I can’t see how either of us taught him that one… he had to figure it out for himself. Just incredible.

6 comments:

Jovianne said...

I think it's a hidden gene that the doctors do not tell parents about. Both my boys had the 'potty delay gene'.

Bou said...

If I didn't have to potty train another thing for the rest of my life... it would be too soon. Hence, I will get an adult dog from the pound before I ever get a puppy. Can't do it. No way.

That means... I have no advice. Blech.

Ogre said...

As long as he's actually going each time, be happy! It's working and he's learning how to go in the toilet! Celebrate! But when he starts asking to go and doesn't actually go, well that's when you may have to start in with other things -- but for now enjoy the fact he's going. It's even likely that his body is actually adjusting to the time and will continue to go at the same time now, every night. If it's taking too long, start to bed 15 minutes earlier.

Stu said...

We told our peaditrician about our kid faking like she had a hirt leg when she was two to get attention, and the Dr said there was no way a 2 year old could manipulate people like that. Clearly she didn't have kids. Well sure enough, one day I was laying on the couch and she didn't see me and she comes walking out of her bedroom. Half way across the room, she starts her fake limp and saying "me knee hurt". She was so busted. Kids are capable of so much more than we want to recognize.

vw bug said...

Hi Stu, yep, I had a friend that swore her 2 year old didn't lie. Until they caught him at it. :-) Amazing what small children can do. Hope your girl out grew it.

Anonymous said...

My wife is a preschool teacher - she's been to conferences were the academic lecturer states that a child of x years lacks the capacity to lie. Or that it had to be learned from someone else.

What poppycock!

Kid hurts knee, you give him a lollipop. Hmmm. Knee hurts, I get a lollipop. MOM, MY KNEE HURTS!

The Mrs. and I often talk about the situations at school. Amazing the capacity of the human child to figure out how to work the system when they want to.

tbflowers