Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Lights Camera Action

Some days I feel like I live on a Movie Set. The drama, the acting. It is just like a scene out of some soap opera.

The scene: The kibbutz* has been awake for 2 hours. Breakfast has been offered and turned down. They have turned down doing the laundry or dishes for me as well. Now it is time to put out the mail.

Mom: Tater, Tot want to help put out the mail?
Tot: Socks and shoes on please.

Sigh. I go get socks, Tot gets the shoes, we get him dressed.

Mom: Ok, let's go.
Tater: Mom, mom, mooooommmmmm. You can't put out the mail. I need some oatmeal.
Mom: Huh? I asked you 2 hours ago if you wanted to eat. You can wait until we put out the mail.
Tater: I want to go. One sock and shoe please.

Mom goes and gets the socks. Tot brings me Tater's shoes. As mom puts on the shoes.

Tater: Only one sock and shoe.
Mom: No, you need both to go outside.
Tater: I don't want to go out. I want oatmeal. NOW. NOW. NOW!
Mom: You want a timeout? Now?
Tater: (very softly) now, please?????
Mom: No, we are going to put out the mail after you get your shoes on. You do not have to go out.

Shoes on, Mom and Tot head out to put out the mail. Tater follows.

You would think the acting would be over, right? Now it is time for the 'oatmeal'.

I make the oatmeal.

Tater: Where's the egg, toast and waffle?
Mom: What?
Tater: Where's the egg, toast and waffle?
Mom: Eat your oatmeal and I'll make the rest.
Tater: Please make the egg and toast.
Mom: Ok.

Mom makes egg and toast, puts it at the table with the now cold oatmeal. Tater gets in his chair, starts to eat.

Tater: Mom, moooommmmm. Where's the waffle?

Mom: Making it. Just eat.

Yaa... always the drama.

* I always wanted to use that word! We don't really live in a communal farm but it is a cool word. Yaa... it is a Mom does all the farm work. Nothing communal about that.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Ah my poor children - they were terribly neglected at that age. They'll tell you I didn't do too much in the way of short order cooking - especially in the morning. LOL.

Then again - they never told me they weren't hungry. If I put food in front of them, they ate it and then continued to eat for the rest of the day. How they stayed so skinny is anyone's guess.