Friday, November 26, 2004

There’s a Fly in My Soup

Or more like… there’s a flying bug in my noodles. If the kids don’t do something to drive me crazy, the bugs do it for them. I decided to make spaghetti for lunch. Nothing unusual about that. It was when I picked up the wooden spoon to stir the noodles that I saw the bug fall from the spoon into my noodles. Now what would you do in this situation? The noodles are a minute away from being done. You only have a limited amount of time to eat, particularly if you want to eat something hot. I decided that boiling water would sterilize everything enough and fished the bug out. It was just a little bigger than a gnat, definitely smaller than a fly. Probably a fruit fly.

Of course my Husband saw all of this and just laughed. I don’t remember all the comments he made (probably because I have selective amnesia when it comes to me doing stupid things).

I probably shouldn’t admit to this… as no one will want to eat at my house anymore. Normally I would have thrown it out and started again. Well, given it to the dog. I hate to waste food and he loves noodles. But honestly, I didn’t know what the right answer was and I was HUNGRY. Amazing what you will do when you are hungry and have a very limited time to eat. Naturally, I am expecting everyone to be appalled and no one to admit that they would have done the same. GRIN.

Ahhh. What will happen next in this crazy household?

5 comments:

vw bug said...

ROTFL. You got me unexpectedly on that one. Might have to ask you one day about that 'cooking' experience. GRIN.

pamibe said...

Ah, that's just more protein. Yep, I'd fish him out and keep going.

[And try not to worry that one of his little bits may have fallen off and sunk to the bottom]

:D

Anonymous said...

Most of the world eats insects on purpose.

-Josh

Caltechgirl said...

hehehehe. I doubt it's going to be a problem. After all, it's not like you dropped the noodles in the trash and then served them.

All's well if you didn't notice the fly :)

Harvey said...

"All's well if you didn't notice the fly"

Which is the best way to think about it. Chances are, you're eaten plenty of bugs & bug parts in your life. You are none the worse for wear.

Besides, you're right about the value of hot water.

161 degrees for a mere 15 seconds kills all the bacteria you need to worry about.