Thursday, November 25, 2004

Ruth's Chicken Tetrazzini

Time for the Carnival of Recipes. Send your recipe to recipe.carnival@gmail.com to be added. Whether you send one or not, be sure to check it out and enjoy the wonderful recipes. This is my addition this week:

Ruth’s Chicken Tetrazzini from Southern Heritage Cookbook

Ingredients:

½ cup & 2 tbls butter or margarine
½ cup flour (Wondra flour works well here)
1 cup hot milk
1 cup hot chicken broth
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
¼ cup dry sherry
¾ cup heavy cream
1 pound thin spaghetti
½ pound mushrooms, sliced (or 2 cans, 4 oz each, mushrooms drained)
2 to 3 cups diced cooked chicken
½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

Directions:

Heat ½ cup butter and stir in flour. Combine milk and chicken broth and stir into flour mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce is smooth and thickened. Blend in next 4 ingredients. Stir in cream and remove from heat. Cook and drain spaghetti. Saute mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 5 minutes. Mix half the sauce with spaghetti and mushrooms. Place in buttered shallow baking dish. Make well in center of spaghetti mixture. Mix remaining sauce with chicken and place in well. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) 20 minutes. Serves 6 to 8

Notes:
The sauce can be made and frozen for later use. I usually double the recipe for the sauce so I can freeze some for the next time.

4 comments:

Bou said...

Wait a minute. Is this THE recipe I have wanted for years??? YOUR famous tetrazini recipe? One that I foresee making with my leftover Turkey becuase of 17 lbs, I have 10 left over?

vw bug said...

This is it. When you make it, make sure you have enough that I can snitch some from you. Just for me! GRIN.

Willi said...

Turkey Tetrazzini was served regularly at Stouffers' restaurants (in the east). It my be available in the frozen food case of your supermarket It is quite delicious.

vw bug said...

Hello Willi: Thanks for the information. I have tried Stouffer's Turkey Tetr. and liked it, have eaten it more than once. I just like mine better... because I can adjust the sauce to just what I want.