Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Chocolate Butter Icing

This week, David Schuler of The Glittering Eye is hosting the Carnival of Recipes. This icing recipe came from Joy of Cooking. It has my adjustments to what I like. I use this on the cakes I make from a box as well as from scratch.

Ingredients:

3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter (I use unsalted butter because that is what I have in my house)
¼ cup hot water (or cream or coffee – I use water most often)
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups (or up to 4 cups) of sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Melt over a very low heat (or use a double broiler):

3 oz. unsweetened chocolate

Melt in it:

3 tablespoons butter

Remove these ingredients from the heat and add:

¼ cup hot water (or cream or coffee – I use water most often)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Add gradually:

2 cups (or up to 4 cups) of sifted confectioners’ sugar (I do this to taste, depends on if I want more of a chocolate taste or a sweeter taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla

No comments: