Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Hard Boiled Eggs

Just checking my keyword activity (to see how people are getting to my blog through searches... making sure I don't get too many Big Crunchy Butt ones) and saw an entry for how long does a hard boiled egg last. This was due to my post on eating an old Easter egg... and I was always told to boil any eggs before a hurricane because they would last longer than raw eggs... and this is what else I saw when I did the same search:

Why do hard-boiled eggs spoil faster than raw eggs?
A hen puts a protective coating (called the bloom) on the egg as she lays it. The bloom keeps contaminants from entering pores in the shell (eggshells have up to 17,000 pores). Processing plants wash the eggs and coat them with mineral oil to replace the bloom. This protective coating is removed when you wash or boil the egg.


Then I saw this post:

Hard-boiled eggs should be kept in the refrigerator and eaten within 5 days.

eggIf you leave hard boiled eggs in the fridge any longer than this and the salmonella risk starts to rise very quickly.

The reason hard boiled eggs dont last as long as raw eggs is that in cooking the eggs, a natural protective chemical layer (produced by the mother hen) is washed off the porous eggshell, allowing germs to enter.

One the subject of eggs, here is the definitive guide to...


Interesting...

1 comment:

GUYK said...

if you pickle them they will keep for months...just like any other pickles.