Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Sing a Song

Many know that my second son is in speech therapy. Just like his brother was. And that is where it ends. Tater followed the book on learning to speak... one word, then descriptors, and then sentences... and Tot has his own way. It has been driving me crazy.

First the boy learned to count. Before he was 2 1/2 this PITA was counting to 40. I had him doing 'doggy tricks' for Bou. Write a number down and watch him tell it to you. But he would NOT ask for something to eat or drink or tell me what was wrong when he was sick. Ohhh... he picked up 4 or 5 words other words. Flower, slide, and a few others. Nothing helpful. Even the speech therapist could not convince him to talk. We played games, I would not give him something unless he made a sound, and so on.

Just last week, he decided to talk. Here are a few of the phrases he says "It's my turn", "Come please", "I want my water", "I want a cookie". The little turd. That is about all he says. And that is going to drive me crazy too. I'm starting to think that he is going to wait until he knows complete sentences before saying things. This might take months.

And then Sunday night he said something to melt my heart. I was putting him to bed and going to leave the room. "Come back Mommy". "Sing a song, Mommy". Me? He wanted me to sing???? Yaa. I went back and sung him a song. I couldn't resist. He fell asleep as I sang. Guess my voice isn't as bad as everyone else has been tellling me.

7 comments:

Tink said...

Have you considered he might be tone deaf?

oddybobo said...

Perhaps he knows how to speak but enjoys seeing you jump through hoops, and has decided to reward you with heart-melts and sweet smiles. The little devils. What would we do without them?

Marie said...

Ohhhh! That is sooo sweet. That melts my heart too...

Teresa said...

Unless there is some major problem (which is hard to know when they are that young), kids will talk when they're ready. Unless things change greatly, he's going to drive you nuts as he gets older. *grin* A typical conversation with my son when he was in grade school...

Me: How was school?
Him: Fine
Me: What did you do today?
Him: Nuthin
Me: Do you have homework?
Him: No
Me: But I thought you were having a history test tomorrow.
Him: Yep
Me: So, why don't you have your book here to study?
Him: Know it.

ARG! As often as possible he answered everything with one word. I KNOW he can talk to his friends and he's a bit better now that he's older - but through school it was like pulling teeth to get him to talk.

I'm hoping your luck is better than mine. *grin*

pam said...

My husband didn't speak a word [they thought he was retarded] until age 5, when he rattled off an entire sentence!
He says he just didn't have anything to say before that....! And by the way, he has a genius I.Q.

Tot sounds very intelligent to me... :)

wRitErsbLock said...

what did you sing?

Richmond said...

Awwwww.....

And I know what you mean. I couldn't *wait* for my girls to be old enough to tell me what they needed or wanted. Then came the days where I would literally ask them to "Please stop talking..."