Monday, December 12, 2005

That Horrible Little Word

It finally happened. It has entered into our household. That Horrible Little Word.

Why


Or even worse... the phrase:

Why, Mommy, Why?


Every day for 3 days everything is asked with the question of why. Why do we have to leave? Why do you stop at the red light? Why do I have to eat this? Why are you heating up the water? Why does that cook the rice? Why? Why? Why?

I can usually make it through about three "whys" before I say the standard "Because I say so". Or "I don't know".

Any idea on how long this lasts? How long before I totally lose my mind?

8 comments:

Ogre said...

Years.

Well, that's the answer to the first question you asked. The second question? Well, a much shorter period of time...

Bou said...

We're still there. Son#2, he'll ask in depth questions now on everything. I get to the point where I have to look at him and say, 'Just.stop.now. No.more.' GRRR

marybeth said...

I don't think it ever stops but mine are old enough now that I can just tell them to Google it.

armywifetoddlermom said...

we are into year 2 here....and I need to buy a book, because sometimes I do not why...

Jennifer said...

Why do you ask? Sorry couldn't resist.

Don't you just love that stage. Well my son now 4 years 7 months.. started the "why" stage at age 3. And I can assure you it's gone. So as for my experience I can tell you it won't last long. Good luck!

caltechgirl said...

if you're really lucky, never. :)

oddybobo said...

We get the "but whyyyy?" after every explanation. He wants to know everything. Which is good and bad . . .

sticks said...

But, why, BlogMommy, why? ;)

I used to say that my kids could say all the 4 letter words they wanted to as long as they didn't use the 3 letter words,Why and Mom.

Once they get to be teenagers they know everything so you can start asking them WHY? It drives them nuts. I love payback time.