Saturday, March 12, 2005

A cup and a Minivan

I blew it. I am in deep dung. Go back 2 weeks and picture driving down I-95 at 70 mph. Now add to this a small voice in the background saying “I have to go P”. Uh oh. Not much you can do at that point. I tried to explain to him he would have to wait until we got off the highway. Which was at least 8 minutes away. Uh huh. It has been 2 weeks since he has told me he needed to go. Today he told me again.

Either I am very lucky or I’m going to regret this for a very long time, but we were just getting off of I-95 and stopped at a stop light when he told me. I told him if he could it till we got over the hill I would let him P in a cup in the van. I got over the hill to a place I could safely pull over. I stopped. I asked did he still have to go. The answer was yes. Hmmmmm. As a result of this answer, I crawl into the back, pull down his pants, have him stand up and put the cup under his pe-nis. The little turkey P’d. He actually waited and P’d in the cup.

In fact he wanted to Poop in the cup as well. Why not? So I hold it behind him. He actually grunts and bends over some. Then told me he couldn’t go. PHEWWWWWWW. I was wiping my brows after that. I have no clue what I would have done if he had actually gone. I am laughing now as I write this remembering how worried I was but not knowing what to do. I was also worrying because I didn’t want another set back. If I had realized what was going on about 8 months ago, he would have been potty trained at this point. Being a new parent I had no clue that if your son was interested in the toilet you should put.him.on.it. Don’t wait. Just do it. Live and learn. He is 4 months away from being 3 years old and is not potty trained. I’m getting desperate on coming up with ideas to help him along. Though this one may have just gotten me into more trouble than help.

Amazing what strange things you will do as a parent. Either way I’m going to be in deep dung and he is always going to want to P in a cup (though I told him we could only do that in the car) or he will start telling me when he needs to go again only when we are in the car. I have my fingers crossed and hoping this will start him telling me again all the time. Definitely NOT the way to train your son to go to the potty.

No comments: