Saturday, November 04, 2006

How Not To Cook

After a long day, I decided to try to make Candied Yams. It's been a year and I need practice. Boy do I!!! Seems I don't know how hot my oven gets when I broil... yaa... you get to see pictures:

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

= = = = =

Being resourceful and too lazy to make anything else... I remove the burnt marshmellows...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

= = = = =

You guessed it, I put more marshmellows on and tried again...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

= = =

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

= = = = = =

And thanks to my mom, mammaw, I checked the expiration date on my Baking Powder. Hmmmm... I didn't realize there was an expiration date. Guess I'll be getting new Baking Powder tomorrow. Any guesses on how old my Baking Powder was?

7 comments:

Tink said...

five years.

Sticks said...

Baking Powder has an expiration date? Opps. Better check mine..........Holy Crap. Mine says May of 2002. Who wins?

vw bug said...

I do! But not by much.

Sticks said...

No, my oldest sister wins. May 1995. You can tell my family bakes alot.

Marie said...

yum.

I just learned about the baking powder thing recently too. Who'dathunk?

Rave said...

Holy Crap!
Mine says Jan 2002....and I bake a lot! I guess *I'M* going to the store today!

marybeth said...

You can test baking powder by mixing one teaspoon of it with a half cup of hot water. If it bubble immediately, it's still good. You're supposed to replace it within a year of opening it.

You can test baking soda by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of it with 2 teaspoons of vinegar. If it bubble immediately, it's still good. Baking soda will keep indefinitely if it's kept in a cool place in a sealed container and...which I guess is why they sell it in non-resealable boxes.

Just because I know this doesn't mean I actually remember to check the dates or replace the stuff regularly. I usually don't think to check the expiration date before using it either. My theory is if I don't know it's expired, it won't know either.