Friday, January 14, 2005

Carnival of Recipes Number 22

I did it - AGAIN! ARGHHHHH I fixed all these links TWICE last night only to find out I must have copied over an old version I was writing. Sigh. Thanks for letting me know. They should be fixed - AGAIN.

It's here! I did it! Please keep in mind that I'm a tired geeky computer engineer mother... so everything will be in the same format. ;-) Sorta like me stacking all the Christmas presents by color and size.

A couple of items first before getting to those yummy recipes. And trust me, I read every one of them. They all look delicious. Some are quick and easy, some are more difficult, a couple even won prizes, a couple are great for when you are feeling under the weather and all look like something I want to try. Keep in mind, you may want to check out those blogs that are submitting the recipes. I found one that has book reviews, some that talk about issues all over the world, some that talk about their children and lives (from the USA to Australia), one that helps you out with kids and food, and so much more. Be sure to check them out and see what you can find.

Let’s start with the Hat tip to David at Daily Pundit Archives for this information:

Here's a converter that's attached to a rather fun website about a mediaeval cookbook. This SITE is about as comprehensive as they come.

This is another good SITE

This SITE has tables as well as a converter.

Lastly, did you know that Google has a units converter? Fire up Google, and in the search box, enter something like '375 ml in fluid ounces' to get the answer 375 ml = 12.6802585 US fluid ounces. Google's converter is very clever - it can even do things like 'miles per hour in furlongs per fortnight', for example (2,688 if you must know).

Now on to those recipes. Ignore the geeky, engineering formatting and go check out these recipes and websites. You will be pleasantly surprised at what you find! FYI, I put Salads in with Dinners.


*** Breakfast***

This also go under Lunch, Dessert and other places… but this is my choice for it. Mary Beth of Random Thoughts from Mary Beth sent us this Kuchen recipe. Ohhhh. My mouth is watering. This looks fantastic.

From Dave at Arizona Perspective we get Welsh Pancakes. Something about dough with yeast that makes my mouth water. Yummy.

*** Brunch***

From Linda at Broadsheet we get this Kedgeree and Scones recipe. After having real scones (not in the freezer section), I can’t wait to try this recipe.

*** Lunch***

From Bothenook at A Geezer’s Corner we get this Quick and Easy Lunch or Appetizer recipe. I, too, am on a diet and had not thought about celery with a stuffing. Sounds like a great idea with a great recipe.

*** Soups***

Kris from Anywhere But Here sends us this Haitian Citrus Soup.

From Be at bebere.com we get a. Riff on the Vietnamese Fisherman's Soup Theme. You’ll have to page down to find it under her drink recipes.

*** Drinks***

From Owlish at Owlish Mutterings we get this recipe for a drink called the The Orangutan . Be aware that Owlish did say “God only knows what I'm unleashing on the unsuspecting world…”. Personally, I think you will enjoy it.

Also from Be at bebere.com we get two drink recipes. A Hot Toddy and Thyme Tea. I never knew how to make a hot toddy – but had read about them in books (like Agatha Christie). Cool, now I know what one really is. And the soup looks wonderful, very tasty.


*** Appetizer***

From Jim at Snooze Button Dreams there is a Macho Dip. LOL when I read it. Not a beer drinker myself, but I think I'll let my husband make this recipe!

Not sure if this would be an appetizer or dessert… but I’m sticking here as an appetizer. From CalTechGirl at Not Exactly Rocket Science there is Deep Fried Dill Pickles (also deep fried candy bars). I have not tried either but have heard of and seen both. Now I can give it a shot.

Christina didn’t say whether this was a dinner or appetizer… so appetizer wins this round. From her at Feisty Repartee we have Garlic Skewered Shrimp. I reek of garlic when I get the chance and I love cake (see deserts). Can't ask for a better combo unless you had just plain chocolate in there somewhere.

From Punctilious at Like News But Tasty there are Asparagus bites, Salmon bites and Mini Pepper bites. I love asparagus, so this will be a new way to try them. The other two look just as good.

*** Dinners***

From Venomous Kate at Electric Venom there is a Kate's Garlicky Chicken with Spinach. I love garlic, I love chicken, I love this dish.

From Anselm at Hill Country Views there is a Spaghetti With Quick, Almost Like Home-made, Meat Sauce. I am always looking for good meat sauces for my spaghetti, so I will be giving this one a try!

From Amy at Prochein Amy there is VELVEETA® Taco Mac & Cheese . Yummy. I could have used it last night!

From David at Daily Pundit Archives there is a Smoked Pork Pot-Roast

Kris from Anywhere But Here sends us this Citrus Chicken . I love dark meat... though my
Husband likes breasts. I'll try it with both and see what I get.

From Kathleen at Baggage and Blathering there is a Yogurt-baked chicken. -- looks easy and tasty.

From Sally at Whimsy Capricious there is a sweet apple pork casserole.Yummy! This is on my list of giving it a try.

From Jovi at Meandering Musings there is a Tempora batter. I never realized how easy it is to make the batter. I’ll be eating this at home instead of restaurants now.

From Boudicca at Boudicca’s Voice there is Enchiladas Suisse . Hmmm. I love Mexican and this is a winner.

From David at Third World County there is Classic Red Enchiladas—with a twist. Sounds like I'm going to be doing more Mexican soon.

From Romeocat at Romeocat CatHouse Chat there is Baked Chicken 101 . Cool, that looks easy and delicious.

From Virgil at The Redneck Gourmet there is Fried Seafood Salad. Wow... that is a nice dinner!

From gEye at The Glittering Eye there is a
Székely gulyás . Pronunciation tips are included with the recipe. It looks delicious. I have found that I like a lot more European food than I realized after spending 6 months in Germany.

From Jeff at Trub. The sediment of life. there is Burning Ring O Fire or Championship Chili. Yowsa. That is some chili.

From Amanda at aussie wife there is Champagne Risotto. Have to see if my Husband and I can make this sometime together... taking turns watching the monsters children.

From Triticale at triticale – the wheat / rye guy there is Copper Penny Salad.. Other than that particularly chili sauce, I have everything else on-hand. I like that in a recipe.

From Allan at Inside Allan’s Mind there is Curried Vegetable Couscous. I have not had Couscous in a long time. Now I have a recipe to try.

From That1Guy at Drunken Wisdom there is Joe’s Chicken. Easy and I have the stuff on hand almost everyday. Gotta give this one a try.

*** Desserts***

From Shawn at Everything And/But Nothing there is a
Cream of Coconut Cake. I love to bake and cannot wait to give this a try. My Husband loves Cream of Coconut Cake.

From Tinker at The Secret Life of Shoes there is a. Dump Cake recipe. I love easy recipes that taste great. And this sounds delicious.

From LW at The Laughing Wolf there is a. Laughing Wolf Oatmeal Cookies. I love oatmeal cookies. Haven't had any in about 6 months... I think it is time to remedy that situation.

From Karen at Let’s Play Restaurant we have My Husband’s Banana Bread. I love banana bread and this sounds delicious. And fairly easy.

From B at Booklore we have Apple Bars. These sound delicious. Of course, I love apples and this just makes them even better.

From Christina at Feisty Repartee we have Italian Creme Cake.

From Matthew at Physics Geek we have Red Velvet Cake and Cream Cheese Frosting. And this cake looks delicious. I can't wait to try it. I love to bake. Looks fairly easy too. Yum Yum.

12 comments:

Caltechgirl said...

Consider yourself trackedback from hereIt looks great V, no worries about being too busy.

Feisty said...

Well done, lady. Thank you so much for all your effort!

Unknown said...

You might want to check your links. Quite a few of them seem to be broken. Several of them have stray pipe characters (|). Others have your URL prepended to them (and are enclosed in quotes).

Jeff said...

Well done, but I agree with Dave. A few links don't work and one of them is mine.

vw bug said...

My deepest apologies for those with links that didn't work. I fixed them IN blogger this time (no copy / paste between stuff). Looks like they are all working now. These are great recipes. Thanks again for sending them in to Carnival of Recipes.

Jeff said...

Wooohoo! It's time to grab a stack of recipe cards and get to work!

Anonymous said...

Other hot sauces can be substituted without a large difference in flavor, as long as dosage is adjusted for heat. I hinted at that; I'm going to add an update.

triticale - the wheat / rye guy

Amy said...

No appoligies for your geeky engineering traits. Be PROUD!!!! I like it!

Anonymous said...

Nice work. Time to get home and get cooking.

Dave said...

This looks awsome... I'll be cooking all weekend!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I don't see a trackback link, so— PING!

Tammi said...

What a great job VW. I went to post my recipe this morning, only to realize it was already Friday. I'm sorry....I wanted to play too.

But you did very good!!