Sunday, March 19, 2006

Now What Do I Do?

We went to Home Depot a couple of weeks ago. My boys saw the 'seeds' that had the Veggie Tale characters on them. We ended up buying pumpkin seeds, pickle seeds and brocolli seeds. Imagine my surprise when they actually grew! The tray with the rock in it is the one Tater planted, the one without the rock is the one Tot planted. Here is Tater watering the plants with his sippy cup... the plastic stopper was removed so the water just poured out. (click to enlarge).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

= = = = = =

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

= = = = = =

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

= = = = = =

Now what do I do? Guess it is time to figure out where to plant a garden. Sigh. Wonder if the squirrels, rabbits and other critters are going to get to it first?

8 comments:

Moogie said...

Ooooh, fun stuff. We'll be planting stuff more towards the end of this month because there is generally at least one more freeze before the end of March. Good luck and let us know where you planted them and what happened. Cool stuff!!!

GUYK said...

Well, the first thing to do is take the brocolli plants and put them in the trash and tell the boys that they went to heaven. The pickle plants ( a assume you mean cucumbers ) can be planted where they will grow and cling to a fence or in a hill where the there is plenty of room for the to spread on the ground. I have mine in five gallon buckets and have a trellis built where they can climb. (If Blogger ever lets me post a picture I'll show you what I did.) Pumpkins are also of the gourd family but don't do well on a trellis. It takes a lot of room for them the vines to spread on the ground. And a lot of water. Floridas sandy soil doesn't hold water well and you will probably have to water them every day and fertilize every couple of weeks. The boys should get a kick out of watching them grow. But be advised that feeding broccoli to boys might be considered child abuse.

Harvey said...

Hey, I *like* broccoli :-)

Marie said...

Cool! Pumpkins need a lot of room,... and cucumbers like to be planted in a mound. I let mine grow up a pole or trellis. Mmmm! Don't know about growing broccoli, but I like eating it.

VW Bug said...

Moogie: I usually have to have the stuff planted by the mid-February for it to survive the heat.

GuyK: Yes, pickles = cucumbers. As often as I tell him pickles are made from cucumbers, he still calls them pickles. And now he's got me doing it. BTW, he picked the vegies... including the brocolli. The one time I grew them before I had to leave on a business trip and when I came back all the 'litle trees' had bloomed. Errr. And I look forward to the pictures.

Harvey: Me too.

Marie: Thanks for the tips. I'll give the 'mound' idea a try.

Ogre said...

And you better prepare a story about why Larry didn't grow in the garden and come out talking, too...

caltechgirl said...

Heh. Ogre's right.

As for the little 4 footed critters, try some chicken wire. Or better yet, a scarecrow. The boys would love to help with that :)

Also, put coffee grounds on the ground around the plants, that will keep SOME of the critters away.

Tink said...

What? No green meatballs? (i.e. brussel sprouts)