Sunday, July 09, 2006

Protect Your Wireless

I was without my wireless network for 4 hours today. It turns out that there are 4 other wireless networks within the reach of my laptop. 2 of them are not secured. For grins and giggles, I tried to use one of the unsecured networks. It worked. It was very slow compared to what I was use to having. But if desperate enough, I could have left it up and surfed. It wasn't worth it... I knew I would be back on line today and then able to see all the presents left to T1G tonight (or off and on depending on the kids). But folks... I'm here to tell you... PROTECT your wireless network.

2 comments:

Amy said...

We have cable and used to use our neighbors wireless who had DSL. They figured out how to secure thier network, so now we are out of luck if the cable goes.....

nEo said...

If you do use a wireless router, use the highest encryption available. Trust me, there are ways to get through any wireless network, it all amounts to time. The smaller the amount of encryption, the less time it takes to 'listen and retrieve' your keys. Vice versa on the greater incryption. The more time a 'thief' has to spend trying to get in (especially if the prize is not worth it) the more likely they are to abandon all hope. In order to beat them, you must think like them. Oreilly has some good books on this topic.