Sunday, August 22, 2004

Climbing Skills and my very first Blog Entry!

My first blog entry and I’m worried how it is going to turn out. I am putting these out for the grandparents, sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews, etcetera who ask about what is going on with our two sons. I will also put out other things on which I wish to express my opinion. And since my in-laws and my family are on-line (with the exception of my own parents), I thought I would give this a try. Since others will be able to read this, I will label my family as such: dog = #1 DogSon, oldest son = #1 Son, youngest son = #2 Son and the pony will just be Pony. I am sure my husband will be called many different names throughout the postings – like Sweetheart, Husband, Man Of Money… Be aware that I will probably only post once a week until I get the hang of this!

Ok, so what happened this week? While #1 Son was climbing our 4 ½ foot fence, a feat that baffles the mind since he is only 2 years old and the fence is a 3 tier wood fence with hog wire, #2 Son was crawling up the slide. Mom is so proud of her 10 month old! Are they close together? Nope. Does it worry me much? Not really… until #2 Son is at the top of the slide and trying to stand and my neighbor yells about #1 Son. Yep, #1 Son has made it to the top of the fence and is trying to get his leg over. I grab #2 Son and start to run the 30 feet over to #1 Son… I reach him about the same time my neighbor does. Luckily #1 Son just stayed straddled on the top tier which is about ¾ inches wide. Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings “That’ll teach you to encourage your children to climb and try new things!”

Why do I want my children to climb and be agile, though not necessarily at the same time? Because my Husband affectionally calls me ‘Danger Prone Daphne’ and for a good reason. A very recent example of this is when I tried to video tape my two sons sleeping a couple of days ago. I snuck very quietly over to the room with the camcorder, started through the door and WHACK. Hit the baby gate with my right leg and it smacked into the door/wall. That gate has been there over a year… I walk through that door 3 to 6 times a day… you get the idea. So do I yell at my #1 Son when I see him climbing stuff? Nope. Do I try to stay near in case he falls? Yep. Though he has been trying to climb that fence for 4 months and this is the first time he really made it up the fence. He must have had a growth spurt.

There is always more to tell. But enough for now. Let me give this a try and see what everyone thinks about using this as a means of keeping in touch. It would just be easier if we all lived in the same state… hmmm same town… naaa…


1 comment:

Bou said...

'Danger Prone Daphne’ LOL! I didn't know that. You never seemed any more klutzy than me... but then again... doesn't say much. *Grin*

Nice digs! I'm announcing your birth tonight!

Just keep the names for Hubby nice... I always do, even when I find myself POUNDING on the keys as I type his name. :)