Saturday, September 09, 2006

Mammaw's Pets

I asked my mom to send me a story or two about pets she had when she was growing up. We always had a dog or a bird... well... once we had alligators but I need to get more details on that. Until then, this is what my mom enjoyed for pets when she was a kid:

I don't really know what to tell you.........When I was growing up I had the usual dog or two and a few odd pets usually do to some animal being injured.

I once had a pet skunk . Of course he had been "deskunked".

Then I had a pet chicken that wouldn't eat off the ground. It had to be hand fed.

When I was very young my father worked at a hotel and one day he brought home a pigeon with a broken wing. I asked how it broke a wing and was told it fell off the hotel. It took me a long time to figure out why everyone thought it was funny when I told them how the pigeon broke a wing........


Yaa... she definitely got to enjoy the good life with pets. hahahahha. I know there is another part to that pet chicken story. I believe there was a rooster that attacked everyone about that time as well. Still... a chicken that had to be hand fed... literally, the food in the palm of your hand.

Can't wait to see what my boys decide to have as pets.

2 comments:

Tink said...

One alligator sis, just one. We did not have a zoo of them.

jenny said...

okay, just ONE alligator :)

my friend was getting pizza one day and her son was yelling "I just saw an ALLIGATOR" in a little pond next to the pizza place...not at all normal for these parts. She thought he was crazy. But there was an alligator, someone had let it go...that would've been a nice surprise for some fisherman...ACK!